Dryland corn and sorghum field days to be held in central and western Kansas
A series of field days will be held covering dryland corn and sorghum production this week. Several of the locations feature a corn hybrid x planting date study that involves short, mid, and long season hybrids from multiple companies planted at four planting dates.
Speakers will address current production topics for dryland corn and sorghum production. Speakers will include Lucas Haag, Northwest Area Agronomist, and Ignacio Ciampitti, Crop Production Specialist at all locations and Sarah Zukoff, Southwest Area Entomologist, at the Lane County location.
September 13 – Smith County, Corn Hybrid Maturity x Planting Date Study
- 8:00 am - Breakfast, 8:30 am - Field tour at the plots
- Breakfast at Nutrien Ag Solutions, 15092 190th Road (2 miles south of Smith Center on US 281)
- Plot located 1 mile south of Smith Center, intersection of US 281 and 180 Road.
- Dryland Corn Hybrid Maturities x Planting Date Study (9 hybrids in 3 maturity groups planted on four different dates)
- RSVP is requested by Monday, September 10. Register online at www.postrock.ksu.edu or at any Post Rock Extension District Office in Beloit, Lincoln, Mankato, Osborne, or Smith Center, or by contacting Sandra L. Wick (email@example.com) 785-282-6823
September 13 – Barton County, Dryland Sorghum Hybrid Demonstration Plots and Dryland Corn Hybrid Maturity x Planting Date Study
- 12:00 Noon - Lunch in the field at sorghum hybrid demonstration plots
- Plots located at NE 30th Ave, between NE 140 and 150th Road
- 2:00 pm, Dryland Corn Hybrid Maturities x Planting Date Study (9 hybrids in 3 maturity groups planted on four different dates)
- Plots located just north of the K-96 and NW 80 Ave (Olmitz Road) intersection
- RSVP is requested by Tuesday, September 11. Call the Cottonwood Extension District Great Bend office at 620-793-1910 or email Brenda (firstname.lastname@example.org)
September 14 – Lane County, Dryland Corn and Sorghum Hybrid Demonstration Plots
- 10:00 am - Meet in the field for dryland corn and sorghum hybrid demonstration plots
- 12:00 pm - Lunch and indoor presentation on dryland corn and sorghum production
- From Dighton: 2 miles east, 2 ¾ miles south, plot is at the intersection of Mustang and CR 120.
- Meal to follow at Pete’s Place, 100 East Plum Dighton.
- RSVP by Thursday, September 13. Contact Chris Long, Walnut Creek Extension District, to RSVP or for more information, 620-397-2806 or email@example.com
Meals and refreshments supported by local sponsors. Corn hybrid maturity x planting date studies are supported by the Cover Your Acres Winter Conference and seed donations from Pioneer, LG Seeds, and Dekalb/Channel.